Watermelon and feta cheese is a classic combination I’ll never tire of. This salad is served cold, so it’s perfect for lunch on a hot summer day. I enjoyed it yesterday after a long powerwalk in the sun and a dip in the sea. The summer is officially here, folks!
Read on for the recipe.
Watermelon Salad with Feta Cheese and Pickled Onions
A refreshing chilled salad with sweet, salty, and tangy flavors.
Prep Time 2 hr
Cook Time 10 min
- 1/2 small watermelon (about 1 1/2 kilo)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes in mixed colors
- a handful of fresh mint
- 2 handfuls baby rocket
- 250 g feta cheese (use soy feta for a vegan meal), crumbled
- pickled onion, to taste
- a sprinkle of extra-virgin olive oil
- a generous sprinkle of freshly grated pepper and sea salt
for the pickled onions
- 1 onion
- 2/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup water
- Start by preparing the pickled onions a couple of hours ahead of time.
- Keep your watermelon in the fridge until it’s time to chop it.
- Slice the onions cross-wise to make rings. Place in an airtight jar, and fill up with the vinegar and water. Close lid and let sit at room temperature for a couple of hours.
- Cut your watermelon into large cubes, removing as many seeds as possible without tearing it apart.
- Slice your cherry tomatoes in half, some length-wise and some cross-wise.
- Chop most of the mint finely.
- Arrange the watermelon, cherry tomatoes, chopped mint, and rocket on a large serving platter.
- Top with the crumbled feta cheese, some pickled onions, a sprinkle of olive oil and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Garnish with some more mint.
- Tip: If you make the salad a little ahead of time, make sure you keep it in the fridge until it’s time to serve. You want it chilled.