enter site This is a recipe for all the Greek melomakarona lovers out there.
http://gratitudehouse.org/Event_FashionShow.php Melomakarona is a sensitive subject. Greeks go a little nutty over them, and supposedly, you have to pick a team. Either you are a melomakarona (soft honey cookies with cinnamon and cloves) fan, or a kourabiedes (white almond cookies covered in powdered sugar) fan. I’m not on any team yet, but I could easily get on this ice cream pie’s team.
If someone told me that my my grandmother’s gingerbread could be improved in some way, I’d call them crazy. So, I won’t say that this pie is better than the original melomakarona cookie. Let’s just focus on it being yet another way to enjoy them. More melomakarona to the people! Also, it’s the perfect solution if you happened to make too many (if that’s possible), or have a lot left over after the holidays.
My original plan was to make this pie with store-bought vanilla ice cream, making this a super quick and easy pie. As it turns out though, supermarkets in the island don’t have a huge selection of ice cream in the winter. Instead, I used my favorite vanilla ice cream recipe, which takes about 10 minutes to prepare and 4 hours to freeze. I think it’s worth it, because it’s the best vanilla ice cream in the world, but for a quick fix, do this:
Get about 2 liters of cheap vanilla ice cream, and let it soften in room temperature. Once it’s soft enough to stir (but not runny), add the seeds from a vanilla bean and a dash of cinnamon, and stir to combine. Pour onto the melomakarona base and freeze.
- 10 melomakarona
- 500 ml (17 fl. oz.) whipping cream
- 3 eggs
- 4/5 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tbsp. honey
- Line a 9" springform pan with aluminum foil.
- Crush the melomakarona with your hands, and pour them into the pan. lightly press into an even layer.
- Whip the cream.
- Beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until fluffy and light in color. There shouldn't be hardly any sugar crystals left.
- Fold the egg batter into the whipped cream, and pour the mixture into the springform pan, on top of the melomakarona base.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Add the walnuts and honey to a non-stick pan over medium heat. Cook, stirring constantly, until the walnuts are shiny and just starting to turn dark.
- Top the ice cream pie with the caramelized walnuts.
- Get about 2 liters of cheap vanilla ice cream, and let it soften in room temperature. Once it's soft enough to stir (but not runny), add the seeds from a vanilla bean and a dash of cinnamon, and stir to combine. Pour onto the melomakarona base and freeze.