Oh my god, what did we do? How did we eat that much?
I am in Sweden celebrating Christmas with my family, and the most amazing thing happens here on Christmas Eve. Every single person is gifted a belly twice their normal size. At least. It is almost magical. Thank you Santa!
I don’t know how we managed to eat the copious amounts of food and desserts, but I do know that I don’t want to see another piece of fudge today. For a few more hours at least.
These cantucci cookies are the perfect sweet patch to slowly wean you off Christmas. And in our family at least, we’re going to need them. Rehab should also be considered.
Adapted from a recipe on a magazine cutout in my moms bulging recipe folder, these biscotti are quick to make (at a slightly higher temperature than most), and made extra delicious by the use of ground almonds. I also added orange zest, pistachios, and cranberries because Christmas is in me.
- 50 g. (1.75 oz.) butter, melted
- 0.85 cups (200 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup ground almonds (not almond meal)
- 2 egg
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- the zest from 1 orange
- 1.7 cups (400 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 50 g (1.76 oz) white chocolate
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- Beat together the butter, sugar, ground almonds, eggs, salt, vanilla, baking powder, and orange zest.
- Add the flour and beat until combined.
- Stir in the pistachios and the cranberries.
- Shape the dough into two logs on a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Flatten them a little.
- Bake in a 180 degree C (356 degree F) oven for 20 minutes, rotating half-way through. Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Slice your cantucci logs diagonally. Tip them over on one side and return to the oven for 5 minutes. Flip them over and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Turn the oven off and open the oven door slightly. Let the cantucci dry in the oven until cool.
- Melt the white chocolate in your microwave or in a metal bowl above simmering water. Stir in the coconut oil.
- Drizzle the chocolate over your cantucci, and place in the fridge until set.