here I love a good burger. Pretty much any style of burger. When a burger is bad, it makes me plain angry. It is so simple to make a good and inventive burger. I use the recipe for these patties (with or without the herbs) to make classic American cheeseburgers, tall creations with blue cheese and nectarines, naked ones with a side of baked potatoes and caramelized onions… You can variate it to eternity.
http://flyingsquidstudios.com/page0/files/skeletor_101.html These burgers have some scrumptious Mediterranean toppings, and are stuffed into Cypriot pita breads. I love that these pitas are so thin. Less bread means more flavor!
Also, this pistachio and feta crumble! Oh sweet mother of Darwin, it is unbelievable! I could seriously eat this with a spoon (and maybe I have).
- 8 Cypriot style pita breads
- rocket or argula
- 1 lb. (500 g) minced beef
- 1 lb. (500 g) minced pork
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1 large egg
- about 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp. parsley, minced
- salt, black pepper, and white pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh mint
- 1 cup pistachio nuts, shelled
- olive oil, as needed
- 7 oz. (200 g) feta cheese
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tbsp. fresh mint, minced
- 1/2 tbsp. fresh dill, minced
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Start by making your patties. Mix all of the ingredients except for the breadcrumbs. Add breadcrumbs until you have a shapeable batter. It should hold it's shape, but not be too dry. Shape into eight patties with wet hands, and make a well in the center of each patty (to avoid them turning round in the pan.
- Let your patties rest in the fridge for at least twenty minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the crumble and yogurt drizzle.
- Add the mint and pistachios for the crumble to a food processor and pulse until crumbled. Add the feta crumbles and stir. Add olive oil, a little at a time, until the crumble sort of sticks together.
- Stir together all the ingredients for the yogurt drizzle.
- Cook your burgers on your barbecue, or in a griddle pan, over medium heat for about 6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate, cover, and let rest for a few minutes.
- To serve, heat your pita breads in a microwave to soften them. Use a sharp knife to cut them open. Stuff each pita with leafy greens, burgers, pistachio crumble and yogurt drizzle.