here Growing up in Sweden, salmon was on the menu at least once a week in our home. While I’m not a big fan of fish, salmon is the one exception. I http://goseetheeclipse.com/wp-comments-post.php love salmon.
Last week, a friend who is a fish monger brought me half a salmon as a hostess gift. I could have kissed him. Since Halloween is coming up, I decided not to use any of my regular Scandinavian style recipes. Instead, I chose to dress this salmon up as Mediterranean food.
Salmon fillet is easy to cook, and really doesn’t need much of attention before it goes into the pan. However, it’s always nice to serve it with some flavorful sides or toppings. This recipe includes a tabbouleh inspired Mediterranean salsa to go with the tangy bulgur side.
- 2 salmon fillets
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 large heirloom tomato
- a handful of black Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1/2 red onion
- a 1 inch piece of cucumber
- t tbsp. parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. dill, finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon
- a pinch fennel seeds, crushed
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil, divided
- a dash of salt
- juice of 1 lemon
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- Start by making the bulgur.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the bulgur, half a tablespoon of olive oil, and the salt. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook until almost completely dry. Cover and set aside. Once it's no longer moist, use a fork to fluff and let cool. Before serving, stir in the lemon juice, remaining olive oil, and pepper.
- To make the salmon, stir together the spices and the olive oil.
- Rub the (room-tempered) salmon fillets with the spice mixture.
- Heat some oil in a large skillet over medium-heat. Cook the salmon for about 4 minutes on each side, until the outside is crisp and the center is just cooked through.
- Chop all of the veggies for the salsa finely, and stir together in a bowl.
- Serve the salmon warm over the bulgur, and top with the Mediterranean salsa.